Young Women and Violence:
Reframing the Conversation about Girl-based Violence
Tuesday, November 10, 2015
Co-host: Demoiselle 2 Femme
SCY partnered with Demoiselle 2 Femme (D2F), a community-based organization focused on supporting adolescent girls as they transition to womanhood through provision of holistic services and education, to co-host this quarterly meeting that looked at the emerging trend of girls as the aggressor across sectors and types of violence. Opening remarks were presented by Sherida Morrison, D2F's Executive Director, and followed by a panel discussion and small group discussions focused on schools and community, peers and social media, and the justice system through the lens of girl-centered violence.
- Sherida V. Morrison, MA, CEO/Founder, Demoiselle 2 Femme
- Deanne Benos, Founder, The Women's Justice Initiative
- Virginia Bishop, MD, MPH, Founder and Director, Youth Empowering Strategies (Y.E.S.!), Assistant Professor, Preventive Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
- Gail S. Day, MSW, LSW, Program Manager, Working on Womanhood, Youth Guidance
- Cheresa Purnell, Education Manager, Demoiselle 2 Femme; Angella Roberts-Smith, Prevention Services Manager, Becoming Women, BUILD Chicago
- K. Shakira Washington, PhD, MPA, Senior Director, National Crittenton Foundation, Coordinator, National Girls Initiative, Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention
Link to panelists' full bios.