Community Development as Violence Prevention
Thursday, August 11, 2016
This meeting focused on how community development contributes to violence prevention. Panel presentations on economic development, housing, employment for youth and individuals with criminal records, and community cohesion were be followed by a keynote presentation by Kurt Summers, City Treasurer of Chicago.
Attendees then broke into small groups to discuss these topics through the lens of action and advocacy. The landscape of community development was discussed and attendees brainstormed ideas to facilitate ongoing efforts and areas of future focus.
- The Honorable Kurt Summers, City Treasurer, City of Chicago
- Mary Ellen Messner, Deputy Commissioner of Youth Services, City of Chicago - Department of Family and Support Services
- Jacqueline Samuel MAPP, PhD, Senior Program Director, Claretian Associates
- Mike Tomas, Executive Director, Garfield Park Community Council
- Sodiqa R. Williams, ESQ., Associate Vice President, Policy & Strategy, Safer Foundation