To track our successes, lessons learned, and connections made, we have compiled SCY's first Annual Report: Looking Back to Move Ahead. Take a moment to celebrate your accomplishments as a part of this coalition in 2013 - we can't wait to make it stronger in 2014 as we work to prevent violence and strengthen our youth!
With the goal of educating and raising awareness on effective ways to reduce and prevent youth violence, SCY encourages everyone to take action to prevent violence through our Focus on Five:
- Sustained Investment in children and youth
- Equitable access to high quality mental health services
- Common sense approaches to gun violence prevention
- Juvenile justice system that reflects what we know about adolescent development
- Sustained investment in strong communities
What is violence?
Research has defined interpersonal violence as "the intentional use of physical force or power, threatened or actual, against another person or against a group or community that results in or has a high likelihood of resulting in injury, death, psychological harm, maldevelopment, or deprivation" (Dahlberg and Krug, 2002, Source: Youth Violence: Definitions).